Yapham Cricket Club – A Brief History
Yorkshire is the unofficial home of world cricket. No other county is as passionate about its cricket as Yorkshire. Village cricket is played throughout Yorkshire. Matches are played between rival villages ensuring a healthy level of competition. Many Yorkshire villages and parishes have their own teams that play at varying levels of the English cricket pyramid.
YAPHAM-CUM-MELTONBY represents two hamlets situated at the foot of the Yorkshire Wolds in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. Together they form a joint township and chapelry containing 1,830 acres. The village of Yapham is small, and stands on an open green, two-and-a-half miles north-by-west of Pocklington.
Yapham Cricket Club has been playing at the cricket ground on the edge of the village for almost 100 years and is one of only a few clubs to play on through the Second World War. Today the club has a strong junior section as well as three men’s teams. The club has a proud legacy of women’s cricket, as this blog will reveal, and aims to restore a women’s team very soon.
A village cricket team was formed in Yapham in 1918/19 following the end of the First World War. Permission had been granted to play matches in a field adjacent to Feoffee Lane belonging to Manor House Farm, Yapham. Manor House farm had been owned at the time by the English family and tenanted by Mr R. Carr.
A first official committee meeting took place in Yapham School Room on February 17th 1926. It was recorded in the club minute book Mr B. A. Carr (Chair) that Mr W. R. English was elected President. It was resolved that members of the club attend the next Test match at Leeds.
The history of Yapham Cricket Club is the proud history of village cricket in Yorkshire.
The purpose of this blog is to tell the story – unravel the history – the people – the community – the story of village cricket in Yapham.
If you have any information or photos about Yapham Cricket Club please get in contact: email@example.com
This blog is administered by Steve Parry and Les Smith.
© Steve Parry (2015)