The Barnes Family

 

Manor House Farm - Copy
Manor House Farm

 

The Barnes family of Manor Farm Yapham have played a prominent role in the history of Yapham Cricket Club. David Barnes, his wife Diana and son Paul have all played cricket for Yapham. The Barnes family’s association with Yapham CC runs back to the origins of the club.

David’s father Norman Barnes moved to Yapham and Manor House Farm around 1938. Norman married Doris Tinson, The Tinsons being a well-known Pocklington Builders family. Doris’s father Herbert Tinson lived at Yapham Mill. Herbert was a keen sportsman, playing Rugby for Pocklington and cricket for Yapham. In the AGM minutes dated 17, Feb 1926 Herbert Tinson is listed as the Captain of Yapham CC as well as Treasurer to the club. David doesn’t remember much about his grandfather, sadly Herbert died around the time David was born in 1946 – apparently of a heart attack at the home of cricket, Lords. One can only presume such was the occasion and passion for the cricket being played that day his heart couldn’t take the strain!  What a glorious way for a cricket lover to go!

The origins of Yapham CC are thought to date back to 1910. Before locating to the current ground on Smylett Lane David believes originally cricket in Yapham took place in the field behind the barns at Manor Farm. Later on David’s uncle Gin Barnes (Ginathon) – bought part of East Green farm, Yapham from English’s of Smylett Hall and rented the field to the club. It appears Mr Barnes wasn’t only compensated financially for the use of his land but during the season 1944 the accounts record a payment made to Barnes – cigars, costing 1 pound & 14 shillings. On another occasion it is thus listed in the minutes that Mr Barnes be given a Christmas present of 100 cigarettes

Yapham CC Minute Book
Yapham CC Minute Book

David very kindly leant me the Yapham CC Minute Book – which begins with the entry written by his Grandfather Herbert Tinson (Treasurer and Captain of Yapham CC) at The AGM held in Yapham Schoolroom on Feb 17 1926. At this meeting the following offices were elected: – It records the President as W.R English Esq, vice Presidents, W.A Carr, W.R Carr and W Rennald – The Committee comprised of Reg A Carr, G Ogle, N Ogle (vice-captain) Mr Pratt Barker, H Skinner.  At the meeting Albert Carr proposed the club have a trip to Headingly, Leeds to see the test match. Expenses for 1926 included two cricket bats, one costing one pound eighteen shillings and sixpence, another one pound fourteen shillings and sixpence – two cricket balls (one thirteen shillings and sixpence & nine shillings and sixpence)

Yapham CC MB4
Yapham CC Minute Book

 

Yapham CC Pavilion – The RAF Clubhouse

During the early years the Smylett lane ground was leased to the club for a period of approximately the three months of the cricket season.  Throughout the rest of the year the land was used for grazing beasts. It appears facilities for the club were pretty rudimentary and originally there were two small hen hut type buildings – one was used as the score hut – another used to store a lawnmower.

In the minutes of the Annual General meeting in Yapham Schoolroom on the 14th October 1945 it was noted:- To build a Tea Pavilion between and adjoining the present Members and Visitors Pavilions, to provide additional cover for nets, mowers, and other gear, and for other purposes.

The minutes also record: – with matches taking place with neighbouring RAF forces units during the War at the end of the War a redundant Forces building located at Full Sutton airfield is offered to Yapham as a Cricket Pavilion.

At the AGM on 31st October 1947 a Mr Brown reported that he was negotiating for the purchase of an Army hut for a pavilion and hoped to provide a water piping. Apparently a local bricklayer Billy Pearson, who also played for the club, helped re-erect the hut with the help of local joiner Herbert Loft.

Yapham CC Minute Book
Yapham CC Minute Book – The War Years

 

The War Years

1940 AGM on 8th April 1940 with Mr F.J Cooper in the Chair: The meeting considered whether an attempt should be made to carry on the Club in 1940 having regard to the War. It was unanimously resolved that the Club attempt to carry on and that the secretary be instructed to arrange a fixture list.

1942 – Meeting 13th April 1942 – It was unanimously resolved that the club try to carry out a programme of matches during the summer of 1942  The Secretary’s report states that matches were played with neighbouring Service Units. 21 matches were played – the majority won by the club

It was recorded in the minutes held at Mr F.J.Coopers house, Beechwood, Pocklington on 27th March 1943 – The secretary reported that the number of playing members of the club was now reduced to fifteen or sixteen, and that in view of the extra work and other duties of wartime it would be impractical to rely on such a number for a regular team. He further submitted that in the interests of the club and its post-war members, it should be the first concern of the club to maintain the ground and particularly the wickets in playing condition. In the 1943 report the Secretary Mr Cooper states that fourteen matches played, all with neighbouring Army and RAF units.

!944 – The minutes of the AGM held at FJ Coopers house, Beechwood, Pocklington thus state:- In order to provide facilities for sport for neighbouring Forces Units and to keep the Club and the ground in commission for the benefit of members in the Forces or other War Work it was decided to ‘carry on’ during 1944.

David Barnes

As a boy David remembers being called upon to play when they were short of players; it wasn’t easy to get into the team as Yapham had many talented players and the success of the club meant they were able to field two teams. Early success meant Yapham were seen as the leading club in the area – players came from miles around to play for Yapham, with many of the players travelling by bike.  Success bred further success and Yapham CC prospered. All sorts of people from diverse professions played for Yapham, farmers, doctors, lawyers, and a surgeon, many travelling from as far afield as Hull and Beverley. David developed into a decent bowler and became a regular in the team during the 1980’s. In more recent years David and Diana’s son Paul has played for Yapham CC. David has also been head groundsman and takes great pride in preparing the ground for match day. As author and resident of Yapham for many, many years I often witness David painstakingly tending the greens during the summer months and delight at the effort and commitment to the cause. David’s hard work has for many years contributed to the ongoing success of the Yapham wicket.

Diana Barnes – Yapham Ladies CC

In 1933 Yapham ladies cricket club was formed. The ladies team being granted the use of the playing field by the then owner Mr Carr on Tuesday and Saturday evenings. Diana’s father Jeff Hodgson during the early years had been both the secretary and groundsman for the club. Diana has played for Yapham Ladies and has many happy memories.

Yapham CC – Characters – Over the years

Sid Fountain was known as a very good cricketer – when keeping the score in the little hut, young lads would throw cow muck at him. After Sid left, a local farmer called John Hardwick took over both scoring and playing duties. Furthermore, John’s wife Joan Hardwick made the teas then went home to milk the cows while John was playing.

Michael Shepherdson – an excellent cricketer and a true gentleman was extraordinarily generous. When the team played away games Michael would shout “find the nearest Fish & Chip shop and I will pay”. During another occasion Michael was playing cricket when the ice-cream van turned up. Michael shouted “I’ll treat everyone to an ice-cream” however they wouldn’t stop play! Michael attempted to stop play three times but his pleas fell on deaf ears. The ice-cream man became so sick and tired of waiting for the custom he angrily revved-up the van gave the V sign and drove off!

Tony Potter turned up to play but heavy rain started – abandoning play – Tony had already fallen asleep in his pick-up truck before the decision to abandon play was taken. The weather worsened, into a heavy storm with thunder and lightning. Tony slept through it all and unknowingly everyone had left for home! A few hours later someone passing the ground noticed the lone van parked at the ground and an open gate, the general rule being who ever leaves the ground last closes the gate. The person went up to the van to find Tony obliviously fast asleep. A few bangs on the window aroused him! Who knows how long he would have been there without this kindly gesture.  The fact remains without this intervention Tony could still be fast asleep in his van to this day!

A stoat / weasel ran madly around the playing field after a rabbit/hare, stopping play! As the stoat chased the hare several cricketers chased the stoat – causing much amusement among the players and crowd!

An amusing episode arose as the direct result of the poor condition of the roof of the old green pavilion. During heavy rain Margaret Clarke could be seen inside the building with a brolly up – making the teas!  It wasn’t long after this the club decided to erect a new pavilion.

The author would like to thank David and Diana for sharing their memories and supplying historical documents in relation to Yapham cricket.

(c) Steve Parry (July 2016)

 

Advertisements